First impressions are everything when it comes to selling your home– yes, even in today’s market. If you are ready to sell your house, there are a few things you can do before you list. Give yourself a few weeks to check the boxes and you will then be ready to reel in prospective buyers and seal the deal.
First Things First, Clean & Declutter
This might be the obvious first step but it shouldn’t be underestimated. Creating a clean space that is free of any clutter is important as you attempt to seal the deal. Here are a few pointers that will make this process as easy as possible.
- Step 1: Declutter before you clean – You don’t want to move things you simply do not need. Now is the perfect time to get rid of any unnecessary items you no longer want. Go through your home and gather items that you can donate to local organizations or sell. Have large appliances or heavy-duty items? Some recycling companies or your municipality services are willing to pick up these things free of charge or they offer drop-off spots where you can dispose of such.
- Step 2: Deep Clean – This might seem like the most daunting, time-consuming tasks so you might consider recruiting the whole family to get the job done. Consider this spring cleaning x10. Be sure to give your kitchen and bathrooms a little more time and effort. Clean your windows both inside and out so they gleam from the street. It’s the little things that tend to make the biggest difference.
- Step 3: Organization is Key – Closets, cabinets, and drawers all need to be organized. Just because it is out of sight, it does not mean that it is out of mind. Prospective buyers often open cabinets and look in closets to see how much storage space your home has to offer and these are often the most cluttered spaces in anyone’s home.
Time to Tackle that To-Do List You’ve Been Putting Off: Make Those Little Repairs
Before you take your listing pictures or host showings, you’ll need to take care of any needed small repairs. Here are a list of fixes you can do yourself:
- Replace the caulking around your sinks, showers, and bathtubs.
- Repair walls & repaint them in neutral colors that compliment your home.
- Fix leaking faucets and running toilets.
- Replace/repair cracked or broken windows and window screens.
- Repair and refresh any grout.
- Replace lightbulbs that have burned out.
Curb Appeal Makes the First Impression
We started with emphasizing how important the first impression is and if you want potential buyers to be drawn to your house, you’ll need to create some curb appeal. This will have them eager to step inside and see what your home has to offer. Here are a few ways you can make the outside of your home look just as good as the inside:
- Trim your bushes, shrubs, and trees. Be sure that any plants are not touching your siding or roof.
- Make necessary repairs to gutters and downspouts.
- If you have flower beds or other landscaped areas, put down a new layer of mulch, pea gravel, or rock– whichever you prefer. This can make a major difference to your landscaping while adding instant curb appeal.
- Clean and repair your driveway or other concreted areas. Eliminate oil and grease stains then remove any weeds that may be starting to grow through the cracks.
- If you are able, consider putting out flower pots with seasonally appropriate plants. This will add some color and make your home look more inviting. Add a fresh doormat in front of your door and make sure your house numbers can be easily seen from the street.
It is amazing what a little bit of time and effort can do to make your home look welcoming for prospective buyers– and trust us, these little things can make a big difference.
Time to put your home on the market? The Real Estate Company would love to help you with the process.
Contact us (859) 979-1508) for a free consultation!
About The Real Estate Company
Residential and Multi-family Realty Services for Lexington, Richmond, and Surrounding Areas. We close over 40 million in sales each year. Our love for Central Kentucky and our clients is the key to our success. We provide careful guidance, persistence, and savvy marketing to deliver results for our clients time after time.
> Learn More